Applications are invited from suitably qualified officers in their Ministries/Departments/Agencies to fill/be
assigned to the following post in the Ministry of Transport and Mining: International Transport Policy Officer (GMG/SEG 2) – (Not Vacant), salary range $2,023,418 – $2,405,208 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior International Transport Policy Officer, the International Transport Policy Officer will be responsible for carrying out duties regarding to Transportation Policy: formulating, reviewing and advising on Transport Infrastructural Policies as well as liaising with the Ministry’s portfolio agencies to ensure that policies and programmes are implemented and monitored.
- Reviews and researches sub-sector issues that require policy changes, including outcomes from international conventions, legislation, technology changes and other developments;
- Assists with the monitoring of the effectiveness of the Transport Plan and related policy;
- Drafts policy statements, documents and papers for submission as required to support changes in policy, legislation and regulations for the sub-sector;
- Prepares briefs, reports and meeting notes as required for the Ministers, Permanent
- Secretary or other Senior Officers so as to provide policy advice to the policy process;
- Liaises with the Attorney General’s Department to obtain advice on legislation, policy changes, and interpretation;
- Participates in the development of the National Transport Plan including the development of policy and Action Plans and other documents for implementation in collaboration with the key stakeholders and other Agencies, in keeping with the Ministry’s Corporate and Operational Plans;
- Facilitates and encourages stakeholder participation in the formation of policy via Public Meetings;
- Undertakes Socio-Economic Surveys to inform programmes aimed at Transport Works;
- Provides information and assists in the preparation and review of the Units Budget;
- Facilitates the tabling of Annual Reports and Audited Financial Statements for various portfolio Agencies in the Houses of Parliament;
- Liaises with Government Ministries and Agencies to achieve co-ordination, collaboration and integration of Government policies;
- Conducts environmental scanning to inform proposals relating to Transportation Projects;
- Keeps up to date with current Transportation Technology Research and Analysis Techniques and participates in research work;
- Designs and develops systems and processes to monitor the effectiveness and outcome of legislative and regulatory measures;
- Investigates and responds to the public queries regarding Transport issues and problems;
- Monitors the impact of implemented Transport Policies;
- Participates in Local, Regional and International Conventions, Workshops and Meetings on Sub-Sector Transport or Infrastructure policy issues;
- Participates in working teams and committees that include the Ministry and Agency staff, Private Sector input, and consultancy expertise as required.
- Performs any other related functions as prescribed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
- Good analysis and evaluation skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Team work and co-operation
- Sound background in policy development
- Excellent knowledge of Government’s policy formulation, monitoring and evaluation processes and parliamentary procedures
- Knowledge of transport policy objectives, operations and planning processes
- Understanding the legislative process
- Knowledge of prevailing social and economic factors impacting transport
- Knowledge of relevant environment standards and regulations
- Strong research and consultative skills
- Experience in the use of standard computer applications
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Sector Management, Public Administration, Public Policy, or development related discipline.
- Training in Policy Formulation and Management would be an asset.
- Four (4) years professional experience in Policy Development and Analysis in the Public Sector.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Thursday August 12, 2021 to:
Director, Corporate Services
Ministry of Transport and Mining
138h Maxfield Avenue
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.