Applications are invited to fill/be assigned to the following post in the Ministry of Transport and Mining: Geographic Information Systems Technician (SOG/ST 5) – (Vacant), salary range $1,271,811 – 1,511,784 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the general supervision of the Geographic Information Systems Analyst, the incumbent will be responsible for collecting, compiling and analyzing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data to assist in the development of GIS applications for the automation of the GIS documents and modified computer applications to satisfy their requirement.
- Creates and prepares maps, tables and graphic for reports and other data products, including Websites and PowerPoint Presentation;
- Collects, decodes and processes data;
- Maintains and updates GIS databases using ArcGIS;
- Analyzes spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into documents and reports;
- Conducts research to obtain information for database;
- Provides information from GIS databases to other Ministries, Departments and Agencies;
- Collects, prepares and codes spatial data into GIS format;
- Evaluates data sources for conversations and performs conversions;
- Conducts Mapping Research to ensure accurate use of data and respond to questions and concerns from other staff, clients and the general public;
- Assists in establishing standard map formats, queries and reports;
- Prepares and compiles data, special purpose maps, geographic and reports;
- Documents tasks completed in conformance with established procedures;
- Provides technical assistance to others on assigned projects and serves as a resource person to other departments on GIS related topics;
- Creates and maintains links between map files/attributes and other databases;
- Assists in the collections and analysis of Social, Demographic, Economic and Transport Data;
- Presents GIS information at meetings/conferences/seminars/workshops on behalf of the Ministry in order to gain support for Transport Projects;
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities that may be determined from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent knowledge of computer based Geographic Information Systems
- Knowledge of computer-aided designs systems
- Excellent knowledge of mathematical relationships such as co-ordinate geometry, topology and statistics as they relate to spatial data analysis as well as automated and stereoscopic viewing
- Knowledge of principles and practices of cartography
- Knowledge of Spatial Information Systems: GIS,GPS, Remote Sensing and CAD
- Knowledge of Programming Languages: Visual basic, C++, Java, Avenue and Arc Marco Language
- Excellent knowledge of relevant computer package
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Urban Planning, or any other spatially related discipline.
- Experience in the use of standard computer applications.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Thursday August 12, 2021 to:
Director, Corporate Services
Ministry of Transport and Mining
138h Maxfield Avenue
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.